Being Water Wise in Shavano Park
With the summer’s heat, water use often increases for Shavano Park Real Estate owners, primarily with the water we use in the lawn and landscape. While using water efficiently is important throughout the year, sometimes the timing of water use can make a big difference for your water bill.
• Shavano Park Real Estate homeowners use between 30 and 60 percent of their water outdoors.
• Experts estimate that 50 percent of the water we use outdoors goes to waste from evaporation, wind, or runoff due to overwatering.
• Review your water bills and compare your winter water use with your summer use to get a sense of how much extra water you use outdoors when it’s hot.
• Timing is everything – It’s best to water lawns and landscapes in the early morning and evening, after the sun goes down, because significant amounts of water can be lost due to evaporation during the heat of the day.
• Check your system – Inspect irrigation systems and check for leaks and broken or clogged sprinkler heads. Fix sprinkler heads that are broken or spraying on the sidewalk, street, or driveway.
• Understand your plants – When planting, assign areas of your landscape different zones depending on sun/shade exposure, soil and plant types, and type of sprinklers, then adjust your irrigation system or watering schedule based on those zones’ specific needs.
• Let it grow – Raise your lawn mower blade. Longer grass promotes deeper root growth, resulting in a more drought-resistant lawn, reduced evaporation, and fewer weeds.
You can help use less water and create a healthier landscape by using and sharing these facts about overwatering. Put these tips to use and make your Shavano Park Real Estate property not only efficient but, so beautiful!